Post 8: My biggest academic writing issue:/ + why texting is so much easier!

Time to vent:)

So there is one significant problem that I struggle with in academic writing. 

Referencing. 

Especially in APA and/or MLA 8 formatting. I don't know what it is, but sometimes I feel as though I am seriously trying to crack an uncrackable code!

Im not sure if everyone experiences the same frustrations with referencing as I do, but I know for sure that for me personally it is certainly the biggest obstacle in my way of getting good grades. I can write a great essay, but proper referencing just hasn't clicked yet. 

Since it's assigned of me, I must also add that texting is awfully easier than academic writing because of unneeded referencing. How would you feel if you couldn't send a text unless each statement had to reference appropriate sources!!

Me: Make sure you bring your ID to the DMV sis, otherwise they will turn you away.

Message failed 
- improper citation

Me: Bring your ID, you will need it at the DMV! (Georgia DDS).
        Works Cited
Drivers 18 and over road test. Georgia Dept of Driver Services. https://dds.georgia.gov/drivers-18-andoverroadtest#:~:text=You%20must%20take%20and%20successfully,is%20on%20the%20rental%20agreement.  Accessed 30 June 2020

Message failed 
- improper citation

Me: Ugh...  NM


When writing an academic essay, its like I have embarked on a challenging and treacherous journey. I have overcome the mountainous landscape of creating a cohesive essay, making it through the choppy, shark infested waters of the peer reviews, and have finally made it to the X on the map. 

Completely beaten up, I make land on the shoreline and I drop to my knees in exhaustion, with epic slow motion, fantastic special effects and moving music, I reach for the prize. Only to realise that my key, my MLA 8 referencing moulded through hours of reading and researching, just wont open the friggin treasure box!!!

Why ! 

I didn't come all this way for an 'F' :(

This is a grey area that I am determined to shed light on, and hopefully you can do the same. 

Because when you finally figure it out, and that MLA 8 key rings the sweet "click" of success when you get that 'A' opening that treasure box, the journey will be all worth it. 


Good luck!

Luke



Comments

  1. I really like this blog post. It's so clever. Notice that from my point of view, you are ideally positioned to learn, and learning is the point of education. You now know precisely what you need to learn. The next step is to identify resources to help you learn. A great resource for you this coming school year will be the university's Writing Center (you'll find a link on the school's web site). Until you become accustomed to the required style sheet, you must check in with the Writing Center for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I had to read it after it was referenced in Prof. Hamon's blog. Great and cleaver analogy about the peer review. Again, great post

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Post 5: How to add Authority and Value to my Doc2

Lucky Post 13: What I have learned this term